An entire third of our lives is spent sleeping in order to relax and reboot our bodies. We know that in order to get the most out of our sleep time it is important to have a comfortable mattress, use high-quality pillows, and make the bedroom a sleeping haven, free from the endless distractions of the outside world.
What you may not know is that when it comes to catching those premium hours of rest, the position that you sleep in may be the reason for your recent lack of sleep. Whether you are on your side, on your back, or somewhere in between, sleeping positions vary as much as the sleeper.
Below is a list we’ve compiled of some of most common sleeping positions, which ones can benefit your life beyond the bed, and which ones are better to boot!
Believe it or not your sleep position can say a lot about your personality. It’s not surprising when you think about the fact that the average human spends a third of their life sleeping. While you might not be able to change your personality, what you can change is how you support your sleep position with the right pillow.
When it comes to sleep positions, the one you tend to favor at night says a lot more about you than you may realize. The way we choose to sleep at night is an intimate question of what we find comfortable and what is comforting to us. The way in which we snooze is something that we do while we are unconscious, making it an honest expression of our innermost selves.
The Most Common Sleeping Positions and What They Say About You
1. The Fetal Position
The fetal position is when you curl your knees in towards your chest like you’re tucked into a safe little ball.
In a study done by Chris Idzikowski, director of the UK’s Sleep Assessment and Advisory Service, 41% of the sleeping participants adopted this position. In fact, double the amount of women slept in the fetal position compared to men in this experiment.
- Personality Traits: Those who find comfort in this natural postition can be described as having a hard shell: tough on the outside, but a huge softy on the inside. They are typically shy when you first meet them, then tend to open up and relax quickly.
2. The Log
15% of people seem to find passing out like a log (lying on their side with their arms by their side) as the best way to catch some precious z’s. Does this boring, stiff sleeping position mean the sleeper is boring too? No! In fact, the opposite is true.
- Personality Traits: People who sleep like a log are known as social butterflies. Although they are friendly, carefree, and popular, these social, trusting people are known for being gullible.
3. The Yearner
As if reaching out for something, the yearner is the position where you sleep on your side, but have your arms stretched out in front of you.
- Personality Traits: People who sleep like this are a little complicated: they are open-minded, yet cynical; slow and suspicious when making a decision, but stick to it once their minds are made up.
4. The Soldier
Exactly as it sounds, the soldier position is where you sleep on your back with your arms by your sides. Only 8% of sleepers claim to get the most sleep this way.
- Personality Traits: Those who find themselves sleeping this way are typically quiet, reserved, and hold both themselves and other people to high standards and strict moral codes.
5. The Freefaller
Having trouble imagining this one? It’s where you’re lying on your stomach with your arms wrapped around your pillow and head turned to the side. Sleeping on your stomach is something many people find uncomfortable, but those who enjoy this position wouldn’t have it any other way.
- Personality Traits: Freefalling sleepers are bold and sociable on the outside, but typically don’t have the thick skin to deal with criticism or absurd situations.
6. The Starfish
Another position that looks just the way it sounds: starfish sleepers sprawl out over the entire bed, comfortable and carefree. Another name you may be familiar with to describe it would be “spread-eagle“. If you’re one to stretch out like this, chances are you’re a great friend.
- Personality Traits: Starfish sleepers are always eager to lend an ear or give a helping hand to their friends in need. They don’t necessarily like being the center of attention, but don’t mind if they find themselves there from time to time.
7. The Stargazer
This position may not be the most popular, but it’s definitely a favorite position of mine. Stargazers find themselves lying on their back with their arms wrapped around their head.
- Personality Traits: They make their friends a priority and do anything in their power to help those they hold dear to them. People who sleep in this position tend to have a positive, “happy-go-lucky” outlook on life.
8. The Pillow Hugger
People who are pillow huggers love to get snug and cuddled in bed, and are similar in personality to those stargazers above–they hold high value to the close, personal bonds in their life.
- Personality Traits: Whether it be family, friends or a significant other, pillow huggers cherish those relationships over everything else.
9. The Thinker
Last but not least, this position is similar to the fetal position, except you’ll always have a hand gently resting on your chin.
- Personality Traits: Emotions run high and tend to vary between two extremes for whoever finds themselves sleeping in this manner.