SPANISH CHICKEN CROQUETTES
INGREDIENTS: 250ml (1 cup) water, 2kg skinless and deboned chicken breasts, 250ml (1 cup) extra virgin Spanish olive oil, plus extra for shallow-frying, 1 red onion, finely chopped, 200g “00” flour, plus extra for rolling, 1 litre hot milk, salt, 1 large egg, 200g breadcrumbs and lemon wedges, to serve.
Easy! Eat in 4 steps!
- Heat the water in a frying pan and add the chicken. Cook for 10 minutes. Remove, discard the water and process the chicken finely in a food processor. Set aside until needed.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and sauté the onion over a low heat for 10 minutes. Add the flour and cook for 5 minutes. Pour in the milk and add the chicken. Continue to cook, stirring constantly until the mixture comes away easily from the pan. Season and cool completely.
- Shape the chicken mixture into croquettes, roll them in the extra flour, dip them in the egg and finally roll them in the breadcrumbs. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and gently fry the croquettes, turning them occasionally, until they are crispy. Remove and drain on paper towel. Serve with lemon wedges while warm.
TORTILLA WITH CHORIZO
INGREDIENTS: 3 tablespoon Spanish olive oil, 400g white potatoes, cut into 0.5cm thick slices, rinsed of starch and dried, 1 white Spanish onion, chopped, 115g Spanish chorizo (diced into small pieces), 1 red pepper, deseeded and diced into small pieces, 6 large eggs, Small handful fresh parsley, chopped, 1 teaspoon mixed dried Mediterranean herbs, ½ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon coarse ground pepper.
Easy! Your friends will love it!
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in the pan; add the sliced potatoes and onions. Cook over a low heat for around 20 minutes until the potatoes are just tender, turning occasionally to prevent over-browning. Cover the pan with a lid, plate or foil during cooking.
- Remove the potatoes and onions from the pan onto a plate.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil in the pan, add the chorizo and fry for 2-3 minutes, stir in the chopped peppers cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Return the cooked potatoes and onions to the pan and combine with the chorizo and peppers. Beat the eggs with the herbs, salt and pepper. Pour into the pan, gently moving the contents to allow the eggs to combine. Cook over a low heat for 3-4 minutes to brown the base.
- Place the pan under a pre-heated grill a minimum of 5cm from the heat source and cook for 3-5 minutes until the top is golden and the centre of the tortilla is set.
- Grip the handle with a heat-proof cloth, place a plate or board over the top of the pan and invert to release the tortilla. Serve warm or cold. For tapas, cool the tortilla before cutting into cubes.